The media has reported of a record number of people hit with the flu. Around 4 million people in England has been reported suffering from flu this year, the worst flu season in seven years. (BBC, 18 January 2018).
Here are some tips on how to boost your immune system naturally to prevent the flu or provide relief during the flu.
1. Drink plenty fluids. Drink plenty fluids. In 2003 research (Dr. D. Lewis) found that people drinking just 3 glasses of water a day were 5 times more likely to get a stuffy nose or a sore throat than those who drank 8 glasses. Drinking plenty water helps to keep the mucus membranes moist and trap bugs. Drink water, herbal teas such as ginger and lemon tea.
2. Eat plenty fresh vegetables. Although you may not have much of an appetite, make sure you eat vegetables daily. Eat easily digestible foods such as soups or sip on bone broth to boost your nutrient intake.
3. Eat vitamin C-rich foods. Oranges, mandarins, peppers, kiwi, berries.
4. Use face steam. I use Olbas oil (eucalyptus oil) before bedtime. Boil 2 cups of water and add few drops of the oil. It helps to open sinuses and help with congestion.
5. Get plenty rest. Sleep helps to keep the immune system healthy and is vital to the body’s ability to fight off infections.