Whilst living in London I fell in love with hot cross buns and for me these are essential part of Easter!
Try these gluten, refined sugar and yeast- free buns. Makes about 12.
- 3 cups of gluten-free flour (I used ready-mixed flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 60g organic butter
- 4 tbsp organic runny honey
- handful of raisins
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup of almond milk
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and rub the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Stir in egg, honey and milk and form a soft dough. This can be bit sticky because of using honey
- Make little rolls and place in greased cupcake tray
- Bake for about 12-15min. Insert little knife in to check if comes out clean
- Brush with little honey & water once baked (1tsp water & 1 tsp honey)
- Once cooled, make the cross from 1tbsp of gluten-free flour & 1 tbsp hot water - make a sticky dough.