This date cake is a recipe from my grandma. She used to bake this every Christmas. I slightly tweaked the original recipe by making it wheat-free and instead of refined sugar, I used honey. Dates contain fibre, potassium, some B vitamins, magnesium and calcium.
This cake fills the house with beautiful Christmassy smells which made me think about my gorgeous grandma who loved to bake!
Mummon Taatelikakku (Finnish Christmas Date Cake)
200g pitted dates
2dl water (200ml)
1dl (100g) organic honey
3dl (300g) gluten-free flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
- Chop dates, put in a pan on medium heat and cover with water. Once soften, blend till smooth. Add the butter until melted. Cool down.
- Put eggs and honey into bowl. Beat until airy & foamy.
- Mix flour, baking powder and soda and add to egg-honey mixture.
- Add cooled date-butter mix in two batches. And pour dough into a pound cake tin (which was buttered before).
- Bake for 45-55min in 175 degrees (depending on your oven).
- Test if cake is ready with clean toothpick. If dough still wet, bake a few more minutes.