(Sugar & wheat-free)
Here is the recipe for the heavenly chocolate cake I made last weekend.
The original recipe is from Kiitos Hyvaa Blog, a fantastic Finnish well-being site with great recipes and health tips http://www.lily.fi/blogit/kiitos-hyvaa I have tweaked the original recipe slightly.
Don't be scared off the ingredient list, it is actually quite a simple cake to make.
2 beetroot (peeled, dice to small pieces)
100g of Raw Cacao powder
100g ground almonds
150ml oil (half of olive oil, half of coconut oil. Melt coconut oil)
50ml of honey
1.5tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
Sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg
Pinch of sea salt,
8 dried dates
50ml raw cacao powder
50ml coconut oil
Pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Steam or boil beetroot until starting to soften.
2. Blend beetroot and eggs in a blender. Add cacao powder, ground almonds, oils, honey and baking powder.
3. Add vanilla essence, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Taste and add more spices if needed.
4. Use 17cm springform cake tin and oil the base and sides. Put piece of baking paper and pour the cake dough into to tin. Bake (middle level) for 35-45min. Check if cooked by using a toothpick, if clean it is ready. Let the cake cool down.
5. Frosting: Blend dates and melted coconut oil. Add water and cacao powder and mix until smooth paste. Add pinch of salt. If too thick, add more water.
6. Smear over the cake and sides and add mixed berries; blueberries, blackberries, raspberries.